Friday, December 3, 2010

Chamakh Has Heart; Sets Sight on More Goals

by Chris Harris of arsenal.com

Marouane Chamakh believes that Arsenal's fans have taken him to their hearts because he puts his heart into his performances.


The Moroccan striker has been a revelation in his first season in English football, scoring ten goals in 17 starts for his new club, including four in his last five games.
Chamakh's aerial ability has given Arsenal another route to goal and he clearly relishes the physical challenge of the Premier League. The 26-year-old thinks this has helped endear him to the supporters.

"I think the fact that I give everything [is why they have taken to me]," he told Arsenal.com.
"I give 200 per cent, I play with my heart, I've got guts, I give everything I've got. I don't cheat or cut corners, that's my strength, my character and I think that they like me for it."

When Arsène Wenger swooped for Chamakh in May, no one described him as 'prolific' - sure, he scored his fair share of goals but his role was as much about linking play and creating space for others.  That reputation will need reviewing if the Moroccan continues his current run and, having reached double figures already, Chamakh has set himself a personal target before the end of the season.
"Personally, I've never been a great goalscorer, I've never scored more than 20 goals a season, but it's up to the manager as to how he uses his players," he said.
"For me, if I can weigh in with 15 to 20 goals, it would be a very, very good season. Whatever happens I hope to continue my progress, which went really well under Laurent Blanc [at Bordeaux] and long may it continue.
"It's gone really well with the set-up here, I hardly knew anyone when I arrived but they've all made me feel very welcome. It has been easy to settle in and this has allowed me to express myself and that's very important.
"Personally, I'm happy. I can do better but yes, I am happy."

Marouane confers with new manager, Arsene Wenger


Scoring a well-earned goal against Spurs

No comments:

Post a Comment